Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hello Blogland!!!! a personal update w/ a bit of food

Hello blog land.. Sorry to have disappeared on ya'all.. Everybody is healthy- I just got out of my little blogging routine. I have been a bad blogging buddy- not updating or commenting. Thanks to those who came back to check on me.. You guys are awesome! It is summer time in Alaska! Here is Emma roasting a marshmallow at the beach. In other news my oldest daughter Amber graduated high school a year early. My best friend Kari came down for the ceremony. Which is so awesome because not only was it great to see her but, Kari was w/ me when Amber was born.. ahh the milestones... she is the closest thing to a sister I have.. (I grew up w\ four brothers - and no sisters).
Eli started t-ball- what a hoot! It is so funny to watch the little ones learning how to play. Here is Eli taking a practice swing.
Eli has also kept us busy w/ dancing. That's him between the two taller boys. The kids and I have a tad bit of Tlingit in us and when Eli was in school they had a Tlingit unit in school he decided that he wanted to dance. So, we signed him up and he really enjoys it. Every Sunday his group puts on a show for the tourist. And a big kudos to Daddy for making his blanket! He did a wonderful job! I crochet, I bead, I cook but, I don't sew.
Now on to some food.. I have been taking pictures still every night despite not blogging.. some highlights from the past few months....


From the Quick-Fix Vegetarian cook book -The sesame-spinach salad w/ mango and the from the same book the linguine w/ edamame pesto. Good eats! I put the left over edamame from the noodle recipe in w/ the salad. I made the salad again for a potluck and got rave reviews!



From Vive le Vegan- the Hummus tortilla pizza. Love this!
My absolute favorite- fresh spring rolls! Inside is fresh mango, cilantro, mint, mung beans, bean thread noodles, carrots and mango tofu from Vegan w/ a Vengeance. The mango tofu was one of the best tofu dishes EVER!! but, the flavor got a bit lost in the spring roll- next time it will be served over rice as suggested.
One of my honeys favorites! Beefy seitan from La Dolce Vegan - He likes slice it thin and put in the toaster oven to make it more jerky like. He thinks if I ever should dare to open a restaurant this sandwich would by far be the best seller! I am afraid though Juneau is very far from accepting/supporting a vegan restaurant....
A long time ago I came across this recipe and it just called out to me! But after going to three different stores looking for some decent portobello mushrooms that didn't cost an arm and a leg....I decided to try some dried shitake mushrooms instead and it worked great! I soaked them w/ a vegetarian beef bullion cube which added a nice flavor. Nice and chewy. I used my standard 'cheese' sauce recipe.
Now see this will teach me to be a better blogger!! This was by far my best homemade pizza ever! and I have since lost the recipe. I found the sauce recipe and crust recipe on the internet and I usually keep a binder of internet recipes but, I guess it didn't make it into the binder this time... I also NAILED the seitan - frying it up w/ some sausage seasonings.


Okay now I will leave you w/ a picture from a walk the kids and I went on near the glacier this week.. yep on the trail we encounter this bear up in the tree happily munching on the leaves.


Ya, my zoom is not that great we did have to walk right underneath that tree to get back to the parking lot. Luckily the momma bear was not around!


Hopefully I will be back to being a more regular blogger again.. some time soon... w/ that said...

I am sure I won't be blogging until next week.. My oldest will be here on Tuesday for the Fourth and his 21st birthday... OHHH that is soo hard to say.. but, really I can't wait to see him!!

Happy fourth of July.. Be safe! and take care!

28 Comments:

At 4:08 AM, Blogger laura k said...

Great to hear from you--I'm so glad everything's okay! It's good to see what everyone has been up to around your place. Looks like your little ones are enjoying their summer. And I can see that you've been eating well, as usual! Enjoy your holiday and seeing your son... and we'll look forward to more from you later!

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger bazu said...

Yay, it's so good to have you back! I'm glad you and your family are doing great. Congrats to your daughter for graduating early. I loved the dancing photos and the cool costumes. The bear picture is amazing- what a fun world you have in Alaska! And as always, the food has me drooling. Have a great holiday/birthday week!

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's great to see you back. Wow - that bear encounter is incredible! Most of the encounters I've had make me nervous, but I'd like to think that coming across this sight would make me smile comfortably!

Great looking food. I want all of it.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Welcome back, Julee! What great food and family pictures. My son just turned 21 so I know how you feel!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Oh, that Portabella (or in your case Shittake) steak sandwich has me drooling! I'm definitely going to have to try it. And that bear is just adorable. Although probably not so much if you have to walk under it!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Candi said...

Hi!! :) What a fun post with all the photos. The view in that first photo is amazing!

I love the T-ball and dance photos too. You are a great mom!

The food looks great, and I am mostly envious of those spring rolls!!! I've never made them because I don't know where to get the wrappers that are vegan. Are they hard to find? I have Whole Foods out here and should ask!

A bear!! Oh my, I'd have been so scared that mommy bear would be close by!!

Enjoy the 21st birthday! :)

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger urban vegan said...

I'm so glad you're back in Blogland. We missed you. Love seeing all the gorgeous shots of Alaska as well as the gorgeous food shots. Congraulations to your daughter on her great accomplishment--and to you, for being such a great mom.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Monika K said...

Love your blog - plus the whole "fellow Alaskan/veggie" thing. Have you had any sun this summer? It's been fun to watch Anchorage offer more and more vegetarian restaurants over the past few years - Juneau can't be far off!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Your pizzas look amazing! It great to see your family is doing very well.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger theONLYtania said...

Cutest kids ever! Congrats to your daughter for graduation early, does she have plans for college?

That hummus pizza looks like a great idea.. I have that book but I haven't made much from it yet. Your spring rolls look great too.. also something I've never tried.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger affectioknit2 said...

We are so happy to have you back. Yummy photos!

Thanks,

Teresa

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger JENNA said...

yah!!! i'm so happy you've blogged again. i've missed your post's. all the food you've been eating looks great..congrats to your daughter....and i'm jealous you saw a bear..which i'm sure is not unusual for you. i've alway's wanted to see a wild bear..we have them in NJ but not where i live. see you soon!

JENNA

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

What a treat to come by and see a new post! Cool bear photo - just loungin' up in the tree. Congrats to your daughter graduating early - quite an accomplishment. I'd like a slice of that pizza!!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Sheree' said...

I am so glad to know all is well! congrats to your daughter for her early graduation. That is awesome! I too did the same thing, only mine was only a semester early.

Where do you find beef flavored cubes? I think DH would love them.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Laura said...

So glad to see you blogging again! Your little ones are adorable, as always, and your food looks great!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Olivia H. said...

Hello and thank you for your comment. How exciting living in Alaska and actually seeing real bears and stuff. That would be so cool! My Auntie lives in Alaska, but I don't know where. She sells drugs :P (Just kidding, I always say that... she is a pharmaceuticel representative for some medical company.)

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Rose said...

The food looks really good - especially the Beefy Seitan.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Carrie™ said...

Welcome back!! Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Your daughter looks absolutely lovely in her gradutation gown. I love the pics of the bear in the tree. I remember waaaaay back when, advice was to climb a tree to escape a bear. HA! I think they meant the full grown kind. I remember one time my sister and I were driving out to my dad's place in the country. I saw a black head pop up from the ditch at the side of the road and a very young bear cub just sauntered across the road. My sister had to slam on the brakes and we sat and watched as he glanced at us and kept right on going. AMAZING!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

congrats to your daughter!

Those spring rolls and pizza look soo good... and the bear pic... gotta love alaska..

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

congrats to your daughter!

Those spring rolls and pizza look soo good... and the bear pic... gotta love alaska..

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Hi Julee!! Great to see you 'round these parts. i am honoured that you came over to my blog and appreciative of your kind words about Mattie... Thank you for caring!

Love to see summer in Alaska! Your kids are so cute. i love the t-ball! And lovin' the bears. Special, those guys are...

More from you please... when you can!

Thank you again for your gentle way. Alaska vegans rock!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

it's great to have you back! your cheezesteak has given me an idea...Mmmmmmm. ;)

lovin the bear picture.

eli's face on that tball pic is priceless. love it!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger julie hasson said...

What a fun post with all the pictures. That bear photo is amazing.

Congrats to your daughter graduating early. She looks so beautiful in that picture.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger vko said...

Hello there!

I love all your food from over the months. I know what it's like to keep taking pictures of food & stuff & not getting to the blogging part...

You have a lovely family- that pic of daughter roasting marshmallows is great. What fun with the dancing too!

And that bear picture- that is just too cool.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Kumudha said...

I assumed it was not possible to be a vegan in Alaska...

Your blog is very interesting!

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sad to see you dissapear but I can completely understand. Blogging can be very time consuming. I think I prefer it in the winter months when it's so cold outside I don't feel like leaving my house. In the summer, the last thing I want to do is be stuck inside when it's sunny outside.

Glad to hear you're doing well. The kiddos are just as cute as ever. Congrats to your daughter for graduating early!

That baby bear picture is awesome. I love seeing wildlife in nature. I once saw a bear walking in the snow when I was on a ski lift. I hoped to pass back by him on my way down the slope but he had already skidaddled. Probably for the better!

 
At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great to hear from you!
nice photos

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Kati said...

Good to see what you've been up to - Alaska is gorgeous! I can't believe that bear photo - so funny that they climb all the way to the top of the trees. Congratulations to your daughter! Hope July is treating you well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home