Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Great Vegan Eats

Hello blog land.. I would love to be a more regular poster.. but, I don't think that will ever happen.. I was downloading my pictures thinking holly cow, I have a lot. Here are some highlights from the past couple of weeks.From Eat, Drink and Be Vegan the polenta casserole. The top pic is the casserole straight out of the oven the bottom is it in all its steamy glory.. Emma and Daddy REALLY liked this one, funny Eli usually devours any thing w/ beans but, he really didn't care for this one. The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups beans of your choice - I used a can of kidney and some left over black beans. Next, we have an action eating photo.. I had tried the most of the seitan variations in LaDolce Vegan and loved them! This is the first time I have tried the turkey.. darn good eats!
Black bean burgers and roasted butternut squash w/ coriander seeds - both from V-con. I had bought a squash thinking I was going to make it at Thanksgiving but, it never happened. Mind you my kids love the whole maple syrup/brown sugar method of cooking squash. The didn't not like this one. The burgers where a hit though.

Chickpea-quinoa pilaf from V-con.. Darn quick, darn good, chalk full of protein goodness! If you are looking for a good vegan potluck dish this one would do!
Ahh, I had some close ups of the soup but, went with this one. I just love Eli's face in the steam!This is something we eat a lot! Cindy o's "chicken" and rice soup for the soul from La Dolce Vegan. I always throw in whatever frozen veggies we have in the freezer. It is so easy and has a wonderful flavor. What I like most is the little seitan bits cook right in the soup - genius!Pumpkin waffles from Vegan w/a vengeance with some vegan sausage and the most perfect ready to eat pears I do believe I have eaten in my whole life! I have said it before here in Alaska our produce is often not like what you can get else where! So these pears where a real treat! Yes, this was a dinner one night. Little miss Emma had mentioned the pumpkin waffles one day and I flat could not get them off my mind! They really are more of dinner food! They are extremely dense and filling. My take on the sweet potato curry from Vegan family favorites. I added lime leaves, lemon grass, green beans and chick peas served on a bed of brown rice... This is another ol' standby in our house.
Oops how did this get here?
Daddy was out of town and cruising through the store I saw these on sale none the less. VEGAN ORGANIC KIDDIE T.V. dinners. How cool is that? Funny thing was I had to explain to Eli and Emma what T.V. dinners are. No, they didn't get to eat it while watching T.V. but, it was a big hit none the less! I didn't think it was really enough dinner for a 5 and 6 year old so I made a big salad w/ beans. Yup, they gobbled up their dinner and salad before they got the coveted apple crisp. We have come a long way from the hungry man meals or chicken pot pies of my youth. Thank goodness! The sad thing is though I think they were on sale because they were discontinuing them. I rarely look at the convenient frozen food (besides the Amy's cheese less pizza) because so much of it might be vegetarian but contain hidden dairy.





Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take whatever posts you have time to post--your food always looks so good! Thanks for the ideas of things to cook from V-con...I have the cookbook, but everything looks so great I don't know where to start!

Courtney

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger aTxVegn said...

I've never seen those kids meals. What a great idea. I hope for your sake Amy won't discontinue them.

I would LOVE that chickpea quinoa casserole, esp. with a side of broccoli! I may add some red and green peppers to it and take it to a Christmas potluck.

Your kids are so adorable and such good eaters!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger lao80 said...

I'm so glad you posted about the soup. That sounds so good right now. For some reason Ramsey is not a soup fan. I can't figure it out. But if I hold back on the broth for her maybe she'll go for it.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger lao80 said...

Oh, and I'm pretty sure my kids only like the apple part of those kids meals. But they're nice to have around.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I tried that same kids meal when I was at my parents' house the other day. I don't normally have a huge appetite, but it was such a tiny amount of food! It tasted pretty good, but I wouldn't buy it again since I don't think it is a very good value for the amount of food you get.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Rural Vegan said...

You've been busy! La Dolce Vegan is probably my favorite cookbook and yet I've never tried the seitan recipes inside. Must do that soon!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I'm the same as you. I tend to skip over the freezer aisles, and don't buy many processed vegan foods until they are discontinued.

All your food looks great! Especially the sweet potato curry...

 
At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the food looks great! i love the photos!!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Pink Theory said...

yummy looking food...i love that pic of Eli with the soup too!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger dreamy said...

The sweet potato curry looks great!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger deirdre said...

I really enjoy your blog. Found it because I am vegan --stayed because it is a great food blog, you seem a wonderful, dedicated mom, and I have a passionate draw toward Alaska. I am a 38 year old mom of two strapping young men of near 7 and near 2, part-time Sign Language Interpreter, full-time wife and mother in Rochester, NY. Your blog fuels me. Thank you. Sincerely.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Happy Holidays including a wishes for wonderful new year. Your posts are a welcome read for me whenever you post. I also have not seen those TV dinners, wow. After reading your last post I had to try the vodka pasta sauce also, we didn't think it was wonderful either.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Yum yum! Wow, I have never seen those kids meals before.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Mmm so much good-lookin' food. And that Amy's ziti has been intriguing me for a while now, so I think I'll try some now that I know it's kid-approved!

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious. I am looking forward more posts from you!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Shananigans said...

Wow, vegan kiddie frozen TV dinners, who'd of thunk it? I haven't made that chickpea quinoa dish, looks great and easy, bet it would be a good side with some grilled tempeh or tofu.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

mmmm, I must say that polenta casserole looks and sounds fabulous! I will be trying that recipe soon.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Julee!
I'm so glad you posted about the Polenta casserole because I hadn't noticed the recipe. Looks and sounds very interesting!

I love the face in the steam picture! Cutie pie!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger deirdre said...

I am still your loyal and patient fan. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home